Aethiric Physiology refers to the existence that is spread through all beings that exist within Deus Ex Gyrus' Samsara cosmology. The humans and animals of Materia, the demons of Makai, the angels of Sephirot, the fairies of Avalon, the ghosts of Hades, and the avatars of Nirvana's gods all fall within this physiology in various ways, due to utilizing the substance known as Aether.
Explanation of Magic and Aether
To understand Magic, one must first understand the arcane substance that composes it. Mana is the underlying force behind magic, a substance that can take any state of matter, from an invisible gas mixed in with the air we breathe, to liquid pools found in remote springs and mountains around the world, to solid “Magicite”, mined out from the underground in which it forms. However, as particles can be broken down into atoms and subatomic particles, Mana can be further broken down into a substance that the people of Samsara refer to as Aether.
Aether is a form of condensed physical information, the knowledge of how to manipulate the fabric of the world in order to produce results that the laws of nature would otherwise refuse to permit. With it, one can call upon frightening thunderstorms, blanket entire forests in eternal darkness, or even bend the flow of space and time. When mana is utilized, it disperses back into the environment into this Aether once more, which lingers in the air until ultimately reforming into mana and magicite later on.
Aether makes its way through the innumerable higher dimensions of each universe within the cosmology, transferred through them by the Cycle of Reincarnation. There is an infinite amount of Aether in each world, and it makes up all things that could be considered Non-Physical. Thoughts, Memories, Knowledge, Emotions, Energies, The fabrics of Space and Time, Fundamental laws such as Gravity, and even Lesser Concepts are all simply different constructs made of Aether, formed into different shapes as necessary. perhaps more notably, as stated above, Aether is responsible for forming the liquid substance of Mana.
Despite the potentially infinite complexities of mana, the actual method of calling upon its power is rather simple. The substance of mana is unnaturally receptive to the desires and willpower of humanity, something that the Mage’s Association theorizes to be due to its composition, the most popular theory being that its nature as information renders it susceptible to our interpretation of said information.
- Talent: The natural talent and power required to use magic at all. Every sapient being has this talent to some degree, and even certain wild animals are capable of using limited applications of magic. Of course, the more of this one has, the greater their capabilities.
- Visualization: What makes mana the greatest tool of living beings also makes it the greatest danger. Because mana is so receptive to one’s will, the potential for destruction due to an errant mind is great. It is for this reason that mages are taught and trained to control their magic to a great degree to avoid it spiralling out of control entirely.
- Other Traits: Origin, Elemental Affinity, Arcane Attribute, and the existence of a Magic Crest are further explained below. While these are not needed to use magic itself, they do shape the types of spells that a magic user may find easy to learn.
The miraculous substance that is Aether has many implications that affect the world as a whole. The fact that it is information made physical, the fact that it is thus receptive to mental power and belief, and the fact that it exists in some form in all things (As all things possess information about their being) has created a world in which every single thing possesses some level of magical properties and power.
Collective beliefs about the planets, materials like copper and iron, and even different times of the year have been formed over such a long period of time by so many different civilizations that they have become ingrained in the very existence of these objects. It is for this reason that magic is so versatile, and how it can be found in so many places. However, as relevant to us, it all stems from the body and soul.
All beings with the gift of magic possess two things that set themselves apart from a non magical being, the Index Arcanum and Semita Arcanum. The former is an extra nervous system that runs throughout the body, a physical receptacle for mana. It weaves its way in between organs and blood vessels, especially in one’s limbs, and connects back to the Primaris Arcanum, a small sac located near the heart that stores mana in the first place. This organ acts as one’s source of magic, and when mana is cast, it pumps like a heartbeat, circulating mana throughout the body so it can be emitted.
In stark contrast, the Semita Arcanum, colloquially referred to as Magic Circuits, are significantly more metaphysical in nature. As the Index is inscribed into one’s flesh, the circuits are engraved into the fundamental aspects of one’s being. The circuits weave their way through higher dimensions, connecting the physical body to one’s soul within said dimensions, taking the form of innumerable glyphs and symbols. These circuits are theorized to be what gives one the ability to influence mana in the first place.
Souls exist in a higher plane of existence from the body, and are connected by one's magic circuits, which travel through higher dimensions. The souls contain everything about a person beyond their physical body; Their Mind, their Soul, their Origin, their Memories, et cetera. It is essentially a spiritual core containing all of a person's information that exists in a higher plane, impossible to harm without the proper reach and abilities.
While these attributes are rather homogenous - All magic users will have circuits and a magic index - There are a few things that mages should keep in mind when developing magic that are unique to them alone: Their Affinities, their Arcane Attribute, their Origin, and their Crest. One should also keep in mind the passive traits that one receives from proper training within magic.
One’s affinity, passed down to them by their parentage, is what starts a magus on his journey. Affinity indicates one’s natural talent with certain elements, which they will find the easiest to learn. Conversely, it also indicates which elements will prove difficult to master. Certain elements found in nature can provide hints as to what elements of magic are difficult to learn when one has an opposite affinity, such as Fire and Ice, Light and Darkness, et cetera.
There are many different affinities, as there are 19 elements in total, of three different types.
Primary: The basic seven elements from which the material world is supposedly formed. Although such a theory is considered outdated in the modern era, it is still to be noted that all mages possess at least one primary affinity, giving these seven elements a greater amount of importance compared to the secondary types.
- Pyra: Orange in color. Governs Fire, associated with heat and consumption magic. Its patron deity is the god of flame, Ignis.
- Zora: Blue in color. Governs Water, associated with the ocean and transference magic. Its patron deity is the goddess of water, Plutia.
- Geo: Brown in color. Governs Earth, associated with the ground and barrier magic. Its patron deity is the god of earth, Atlas.
- Venti: Pale Green in color. Governs Wind, associated with the sky and mobility magic. Its patron deity is the god of wind, Ventus.
- Reis: Light Blue, almost White, in color. Governs angelic energy, associated with the dimension of Spehirot. Its patron deity is the lord of the Order Pantheon, Graham.
- Maki: Dark Red, almost Black, in color. Governs demonic energy, associated with the dimension of Makai. Its patron deity is the lady of the Chaos Pantheon, Vale.
- Animus: Purple in color. Governs spirits and souls, associated with the flow between life and death. Its patron deities are the twin goddesses of Life and Death, Gaia and Hades.
Secondary: Though not as often-found as the other elements, these six affinities are a similarly inherent part of the world, typically governing energies, or serving as higher, more precise forms of the primary elements.
- Fulmen: Lavender in color. Governs Lightning and Electricity, and is associated with storms. Its patron deity is the god of Storms, the former demigod Thor.
- Cyri: Cyan in color. Governs Ice, Snow, and the Cold, and is associated with glacial regions. Its patron deity is the goddess of Ice, the former demigoddess Skadi.
- Vita: Green in color. Governs plants, animals, and life energy, and is associated with forests and plains. Its patron deity is the god of the Wild, the Akheti god Enlil, though it is sometimes associated with his father, Gaia.
- Allo: Silver in color. Governs metal, machines, and technological progress, and is associated with cities and civilization. Its patron deity is the god of Civilization, Enki, though it is also associated with his Arcadian sibling Mechanus, the forge god.
- Astra: Yellow in color. Governs light, and is associated with daytime and the sun. Its patron deities are the goddess of light, Iris, and the goddess of the Sun, Eos.
- Umbra: Dark Purple in color. Governs darkness, and is associated with nighttime and the moon. Its patron deities are the god of darkness, Erebus, and the god of the moon, Tenebris.
Esoteric Affinities: These are things from which physical objects are not born; Rather, they serve as fundamental forces that maintain the laws of reality as we know them. For this reason, Esoteric elements are more powerful and far more rare than the other elements, and Magicite of these elements is hardly ever found naturally in the world.
- Abis: Red in color. Governs Space and Gravity, and is associated with the Star Ocean and celestial bodies. Its patron deity is the overseer of Space, the goddess Cosmos.
- Chrono: Indigo in color. Governs the flow of time, and is associated with places and objects of significant age. Its patron deity is the weaver of Time, the god Chronos.
- Luci: Pink in color. Governs mental processes and consciousness, and is associated with the realm of dreams. Its patron deity is the Queen of Fairies, the Fey goddess and lover of Etro, Áine.
- Nil: Black in color. Governs nothingness and blankness, and is associated with the void that separates dimensions. Its patron deity is the Queen of the Void, the goddess of Entropy and Nothingness, Etro.
- Garma: White in color. Governs Order and Law, and is associated with the Divine Sphere, and to a lesser extent Sephirot. Its patron deity is Graham, much like Reis.
- Vala: Rainbow in color. Governs Chaos and Impossibility, and is associated with Angra Mainyu, and to a lesser extent Makai. Its patron deity is Vale, much like Maki.
Arcane Attributes are unique types of spells that a mage specializes in. Stored as information within the soul, these attributes further determine the unique fighting style of mages in question beyond their elemental affinities. There is a theoretically infinite amount of potential attributes, but many overlap and share traits with each other. Examples of Arcane Attributes are:
- Destruction: Spells that destroy things. Often, fire spells fall into this category, as do curses, or things that deconstruct materials. Alana Kouri possesses a Destruction attribute that she utilizes to break rock down into powder.
- Absorption: Spells that absorb things, such as Life and Mana. Jay Grimoire’s attribute is Consumption, as indicated by his Devour crest and mana-draining spells.
- Severing: Spells that sever and slice things. Wind and Metal spells often fall into this category. Gale Highwind possesses a Severing attribute.
- Flowing: Spells that flow, and possess a certain rhythm to them, such as Water and Wind spells. Zephyr Highwind possesses a Flowing attribute, which he shows off through his Wind Form spell.
A deeper existence than Arcane Attributes, which one can have multiple of, Origins are wholly unique to the user. They are a manifestation of one’s concept, a “proof of existence” of sorts, that determines their fate and the kind of life that they will lead. While the effects of this vary in intensity and result, the important thing here is to understand how it affects magic.Origins will further influence one’s magic type. The shape of one's magic and the further abilities that it entails can be further shaped by the Origin. Someone whose origin was "Sword" may find himself forming their magic into blades, and one with the origin of "Worthless" may be able to deprive others of their magical abilities through curses.
It is the name that we use for the usage of Mana and Aether, the very act of subverting the natural laws of reality to achieve a miraculous effect. On its own, magic possesses many sub-aspects and branches that are necessary for it to function in this world.
propelling themselves through the air, projecting bursts of pure aether, or forming a protective aura around themselves. While a viable way to battle, the cost-effectiveness is low; One must actively project these things at all times, constantly running the mana reactor within their soul.
As such, one must project their imagination onto reality, forming immeasurably-complex Glyphs and Symbols. These act as "Programs" that the Aether passes through, shaping and molding it into a more desirable state. It is this completed state that a "Spell" is formed, a specific application of Aether that acts in accordance with the will of the caster. This is how one is capable of forming attacks such as Fireballs, which we may use an example to further explain.
- Fireball is a quite basic spell, that any fire mage with a sense of self-worth will learn how to create. Despite the basic nature of it, the process that goes into all of this is quite complex, and varies depending on the user. To tap into a fireball, one might picture how they saw it used by another mage before them, and others might tap into their deepest, most vivid mental image of fire, recreating that feeling within reality. Others still might study the circle shape directly from a book to recreate it. In this instance, the same spell has been cast through three different means, achieving the same effect.
As the method of casting magic is not through the body, but through the soul, the main method of a person's defenses against magic is similarly powered by the non-physical. It is an immutable fact that the usage of Aether triumphs any definition of physical strength or defense. Magic will inevitably pierce through any armor, fortification, or body no matter how powerful, and it is for this reason that mages often choose not to wear it, focusing instead on higher agility through which they may more accurately counter and evade magic.
However, defense against Aether-based attacks is not impossible. It must simply be done through magical means. And much like how the body defends against physical attacks, the soul defends against magical attacks.
Aether is responsible for all of the non-physical aspects of a person's existence, and thus, all magic attacks are strikes on the soul rather than the body. On a physical level, the body protects the soul from harm by serving as a material barrier against fists and weapons. Conversely, however, the soul protects the body by forming a magical barrier, a passive effect that allows the average mage to withstand magic directly to their forms.Though it is called a "Barrier", perhaps a better name would be a "Permeation". It is not a simple shield, but rather, a spot in the center point of the body that radiates one's Aether outwards, like a reverse gravitational pull. It rejects magical energy and is most concentrated at the skin, where the Aether coalesces, and at the core, where it is generated.
- Fire Manipulation: The main draw of Pyra magic is the manipulation of Fire and Flames, shooting orbs and waves of flame, creating fiery constructs, and burning things to a crisp.
- Absorption: Sufficiently-powerful Fire Magic is capable of consuming other magic by burning it and using the magical energy from the burnt spell as fuel to grow even stronger.
- Heat Manipulation: Fire Mages are capable of producing sufficient heat to melt massive glaciers that stretch kilometers across, mimicking the heat of the sun, and outright vaporizing stone and metal into ashes. Certain fire-based spells can even drain the heat from a foe, stealing it and leaving them freezing cold.
- Status Effect Inducement including Pain Manipulation and Statistics Reduction: Fire Magic, when wielded with enough control, can inflict a "Burn", a constant magical wound that saps the foe's offensive strength and stamina and inflicts constant pain.
- Matter Manipulation (Atomic) and Radiation Manipulation: Sufficiently powerful fire magic is capable of splitting molecules and atoms from sheer heat, and generating radiation through Nuclear Fission.
- Water Manipulation: Zora magic's main draw is the manipulation of water, allowing the user to create constructs and torrents of water, drowning foes outright.
- Status Effect Inducement: When water magic is applied to a foe, their body and soul can become "Wet", rendering them vulnerable to other elements such as Ice and Lightning magic.
- Power Nullification: Sufficiently powerful Water Magic is capable of "Washing away" other magic, stripping targets of their defenses and enchantments by soaking and carrying away Aether.
- Statistics Reduction: Water magic can "Wash Away" a foe's defenses, weakening them and rendering them more vulnerable to magic in a process comparable to Erosion.
- Absorption: Mages with enough control over their mana are capable of invading a target's body, draining the moisture from them with Zora Magic.
- Blood Manipulation: Mages with enough precise control over water can manipulate the water in an opponent's body, controlling their blood and thus manipulating their body as a result.
- Sealing: Sufficiently powerful Water Magic is capable of sealing foes by trapping their magic and physical body alike in seals of water, drowning them with a magical flowing barrier.
- Enhanced Physiology: Even the average human in Algo is vastly superior to the most trained and conditioned humans on earth. Mages can hold their breath for hours at a time, naturally possess superhuman physical characteristics, and have immense stamina that's partially tied to their mana reserves. Excepting those with disorders such as Bianca Kouri, even the weakest human can perform strenuous physical activity in harsh environments for days on end, and non-magical disease essentially doesn't exist due to its complete ineffectiveness on most beings. In addition to this, most residents of Algo age with incredible grace, retaining their youth and strength well into their twilight years.
- Enhanced Processing Speed: Mages are capable of processing power necessary to analyze and manipulate their own magic circuits.
- Limited Invulnerability: Characters can only take so much damage at a time. When faced with an opponent or attack significantly stronger than them, the amount of damage that they receive will be lessened, to not that much more than the damage they would receive from a comparable opponent.
- Resistance: Characters have a natural immunity to aether and magic from those weaker than them, with such hax not being treated as durability-negating. However, the weaker they grow, due to being damaged normally and lessened in power over time, such hax will begin to take effect more and more. For example, as a character is damaged, he may go from being immune to time stop to being slowed in time, to only his mind being active while his body is frozen, to being completely stopped. This can also be bypassed by concentrating one's mana on a specific point instead of across the entire body; for example, utilizing time stop on a single limb or weapon is going to be much more effective in general.
- Accelerated Development/Reactive Power Level: Training and Passive; Physical Stats, Skill, Abilities. The immense potential that Aether holds grants all mages an infinite capacity for growth, sometimes referred to as the "Great Will". Ryn was able to grow from physically being comparable to a normal human on our world to a proficient fighter on Zephyr's level of strength that could deflect Gale's Fujin in the span of a single battle, and in under a month of training, mages are capable of multiplying their strength a thousandfold (literally going from Tier 8 to Tier 7). This ability increases depending on the situation and one's will, and will be more potent in situations where strength is required, such as a life-or-death fight, or in the weeks leading up to a widely-broadcasted tournament.
- Regeneration (High-Low Physically, Far Higher for other aspects): Simply being able to handle Aether grants a level of accelerated healing to the user, allowing them to recover from serious injury within a short timeframe. One can also regenerate damage to their mind and soul due to the Aether within their bodies slowly overwriting the destroyed parts of one's existence with an information archive.
- Immortality (Type 9): A record of one's Aether exists within Deus Ex Machina, and is in a sense their "True" self (Not Combat-Applicable). In addition, one's soul exists in a higher plane of existence.
- Higher-Dimensional Existence: Souls exist in a higher plane of existence from the body, and are connected by one's magic circuits, which travel through higher dimensions. The same can be said of one's mind, making affecting it virtually impossible for somebody who does not also utilize Aether.
- Magic: Self-Explanatory. Even people who don't cast magic are capable of taking in mana, and have the potential to utilize it due to possessing magic circuits and a Primaris Arcanum.
- Absorption: Those with a Primaris Arcanum passively absorb mana from the environment to replenish their stores over time.
- Aether Manipulation: Magic is the manipulation of Aether, a substance that makes up everything non-physical in the world, and is the crystallized form of thoughts, memories, and knowledge, as well as souls, information, and of course mana.
- Physics Manipulation: Magic is explicitly an art that can allow the user to completely ignore the laws of physics and perform things that are otherwise impossible within the confines of reality.
- Mind Manipulation, Soul Manipulation, Information Manipulation, Energy Manipulation, Higher-Dimensional Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation (Type 2): The effects of magic such as curses and ailment-based abilities are capable of affecting far more than just the physical, and take effect on all levels of existence, including affecting Magic Circuits, which "weave their way through higher dimensions of existence". An example of this is William Lockhart, who can freeze the concept of time.
- Explosion Manipulation, Transmutation, Durability Negation: Against something or someone who isn't properly equipped to handle the existence of Aether, such as humans from other verses, a magic spell would overload the target's body with an overflow of information from the slightest exposure, causing their body to explode and resulting in the breaking down of all aspects of their existence to raw Aether.
- Limited Conceptual Manipulation (Type 3): Large groups of people can create Sacred Arms over time with their perceptions, changing the concept of the weapon itself, giving it new properties and abilities.
- Non-Physical Interaction: Magic can strike things without a physical form, given that it interacts with Aether. The only way to be truly safe from being struck by magic would be to completely lack any sense of Aether, lacking a concept, information, body, mind, or soul whatsoever.
- Elemental Manipulation: All magic is based in a system of elements, with one's affinity determining which elements they are best at.
- Resistance Negation: Due to possessing active Aether, Magic will by definition affect things that only have inactive Aether, which in turn affects things without Aether. Even a simple campfire formed by fire magic on Gaia would burn planet Earth to a crisp in minutes due to it possessing no Aether, even things that would otherwise be completely immune to fire, such as water. Within Gaia, all things have Aether flowing through them, but even then, Active magic would still be able to affect those things.
An Explanation of Type 2 Concepts: Inherently, the concepts that make up everything within Deus Ex Machina are Type 1 due to the immense transcendence over reality that they have. However, these are not utilized by average people, who are not even aware of the throne's existence. Rather, the throne creates copies of one's concepts with a far more limited scope, that exist only as long as the objects possessing them do. When a person dies, their soul crosses into the Afterlife, and the concept copy that the throne created ceases to exist.
As an analogy to the above, think of it as pushing a wall of infinite height against someone. If you push the wall in a straight line, someone who is 5 feet tall will only have 5 feet of the wall pushed against them, whereas someone who is 6 feet tall will end up touching 6 feet of the wall. If you need it in layman's terms: Hax and Resistance potency scales to the opponent.
Basic Monsters: Alongside the standard abilities granted by being able to use aether (Magic through Resistance Negation on the above list and the standard resistances), Monsters possess different abilities from standard races:
- Invulnerability: Monster races, due to essentially being masses of Aether in biological form, are invulnerable to conventional attacks, and require items infused with Aether to harm.
- Absorption/Accelerated Development: Monsters passively absorb Aether from the environment, growing stronger and toucher over time. This is considered to be the main method of the rest of monsters' abilities.
- Shapeshifting: Monsters can spontaneously evolve their form, growing extra body parts and enhancing the ones they already have, such as spines, bones, claws, etc.
- Reactive Evolution/Adaptation: As Monsters absorb Aether, they grow and evolve in response to it, gaining new resistances and abilities. For example, Kitsune of the Wind Tribe are immune to William's time freeze due to generations of exposure to ice mana from their homeland. Kitsune evolved shapeshifting over time in order to blend in with Humans.
- Transformation: At the peak of their evolution, Monsters can utilize Ascension, a sudden and spontaneous transformation that allows them to change into a different species entirely. Goblins to Hobgoblins, Imps to Incubi, et cetera.
- Pocket Reality Manipulation: When a monster absorbs a large enough amount of Aether, they can forgo Ascension and instead form a Dungeon, a pocket reality that twists the space and aether around them, forming a dungeon equivalent in size to their level of power. A monster has subconscious control over this dungeon and sustains it with their raw power, and it will collapse if the monster is slain.
- Duplication: Within a dungeon, a monster can spawn numerous minions of the same species as it, which it uses to hunt and protect its territory.
Advanced Monsters, otherwise known as Monster Races, have the same level of physiology of Basic monsters. However, these traits have been watered down and lessened in favor of sapience, and the ability to communicate with others. As their forms are more solid, their shapeshifting and absorption traits are far more limited and slow (though they do still exist and against someone without Mage physiology would essentially be the same). However, they can and do often utilize Ascension.
Demon Physiology: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Immortality (Types 1, 2, 3, and 6. Demons do not age, and their bodies are homogenous masses of curse cells, meaning that damage that would be lethal to humans such as decapitation won't actually kill them. Demons can also use their souls to possess other bodies if their main one is destroyed beyond its regeneration), Regeneration (High-Mid for lower-level demons, Low-High for higher-level ones. Demons can regenerate from being cut into pieces, melted into sludge, and shattered into bits. Higher-level demons such as Satanael can regenerate so long as a single cell is unharmed. Possibly High via Biomass Replacement. Using this technique, Demons simply place new materials stored within their inner world whenever they're damaged, and can potentially recover from raw energy. Low-Godly within Makai, as demons can regenerate from their spirits alone due to the raw cursed energy present there), Shapeshifting (All demons are capable of changing their shape at will, though the actual extent of this varies), Natural Weaponry (The fangs and claws of a demon are capable of shredding steel, and all demons can form weapons to a degree), Curse Manipulation (All demons are inherently aligned with the Curse element, though Satanael does not have a unique curse of his own due to being a fallen angel, and merely manipulates raw cursed energy), Corrosion Inducement, Absorption (Demon essence has the effects of corroding and dissolving things it touches and absorbing them into its being, storing it within a demon's inner world as pure aether), Corruption, Disease Manipulation (Type 2 and 3, Demons can corrupt mortals and turn them into demons, infecting them down to their concept), Chaos Manipulation, Law Manipulation, Physics Manipulation (Demons are creatures of chaos, and their presence subverts the standard laws of reality and physics), Acausality (Type 4. As creatures of chaos, demons exist within an inherently irregular system of causality, and are natural denizens of makai, where the flow of time, cause, and effect are not consistent, rapidly changing within the maelstrom), Flight (Levitation; demons can fly by ignoring the laws of gravity, allowing them to fly around and float at terminal velocity, though they lack the same speed that Angels do), Text Manipulation, Soul Manipulation (Demons can consume souls directly for sustenance, as well as inscribe their names onto the souls of others to mark them as their servants), Resistance to Curse Manipulation and its variations (All demons are, due to being made up of cursed matter themselves, naturally immune to the curses of those weaker than them, requiring a foe to overpower them in order to affect them with curses. If the opponent fails to do this, they will merely absorb the curse mana and become stronger), Pain Manipulation (Demons are exceptionally resistant to pain, and are unaffected by things such as having their limbs severed and organs crushed), Extreme Heat (Demons can withstand bathing in boiling water, and do so for fun)
- Lust Demons: Empathic Manipulation (The pheromones given off by Lust demons, which can be emitted as an imperceptible gas, through touch, or through injection via their fangs, claws, and tail, function as a potent aphrodesiac), Madness Manipulation, Memory Manipulation, Death Manipulation (High enough quantities of a lust demon's aphrodesiac can drive the afflicted insane, destroy their memories, and even inflict death from sensory overload), Enhanced Shapeshifting (Lust Demons can change physical and cosmetic details about themselves, such as facial structure, measurements, hairstyle, and beauty marks)
- Wrath Demons: Rage Power (Wrath demons draw power from their anger, becoming stronger and more muscular the longer they fight and the more damage they take), Berserk Mode (Wrath demons are capable of going berserk if their anger reaches a certain point), Size Manipulation (Up to Type-0; Wrath Demons continually grow in size the more they're damaged and the angrier they get)
- Greed Demons:
- Gluttony Demons:
- Envy Demons:
- Sloth Demons:
- Pride Demons:
Sacred Arms are a series of special weapons created during previous ages, that have grown more powerful by acquiring a large amount of fame, often in legends or historical accounts of their potency.
- Empowerment: A Sacred Arm draws strength from its legend, becoming stronger the more famous it is. The older and more famous a weapon, the more potent its ability.
- Reactive Evolution: Sacred Arms can change based on the perceptions of others, gaining new abilities that they may not have possessed when first created. For Example, the blades of Muramasa gained a reputation for being cursed, demonic blades, giving them those properties.
- Non-Physical Interaction: Sacred Arms are capable of damaging demons, even while they're using curses that let them turn into things like fire and light. Gale could cut through an illusion with his Sacred Arm. Sacred Arms are the only methods known to truly damage void beings, who even magic cannot deal lasting damage to.
- Resistances: On top of having all the resistances of magic users, Sacred Arms have some other notable resistances.
- Matter Manipulation: Sacred Arms can clash with Honjo Masamune, whose edge is an atom thick, and which can slice through molecular bonds. They are resistant to Alana's Powder Magic, which deconstructs materials into powders, and can withstand the sea of Angra Mainyu without being dissolved.
- Magic: All Sacred Arms are highly resistant to magic, to the point of being near-indestructible.
- Information Analysis: Attempting to analyze Masamune caused Ryn's appraisal to shatter and give him a headache, and he couldn't glean any information from it. The same holds true for Aiden's dyrnwyn, indicating that all Sacred Arms have this property.
- Curse Manipulation and Absorption: Sacred Arms can be plunged into Angra Mainyu, and while their powers may be altered, they cannot be absorbed and broken down from the sheer amount of curses within the sea.
Standard Resistances include:
- Magic and Aether Manipulation: Simply possessing Aether allows one to resist the effects of magic, which due to the Aether system, includes anything that affects one's Body, Mind, Soul, Mana, Information, or Concepts, as one's inner Aether will Overwrite the effects of an enemy attempting to affect them (Whether or not the attack is explicitly supernatural in nature). The only way to bypass this is to be a better, generally more powerful user of Aether. This of course gives all Aether users resistance to the other effects of Aether as well, including Mind Manipulation, Soul Manipulation, Information Manipulation, Energy Manipulation, Higher-Dimensional Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation (Type 3), Explosion Manipulation, Transmutation, Durability Negation, and Resistance Negation.
- Death Manipulation: Mages can resist the effects of the Eyes of Death, which kills everything that comes into its line of sight, up to and including inanimate objects and magic circles.
- Time Stop, Ice Manipulation: A powerful enough mage, especially a time user such as a Lockhart, can resist the effects of William's time freeze, which freezes the concept of time itself.
- Disease Manipulation: Diseases and Viruses that are non-magical in nature no longer exist in Algo due to their complete inability to infect and weaken their host. In fact, disease in general has been almost eradicated, with even magical plagues being ineffective on most humans nowadays.
- Elemental Manipulation: Depending on the affinity of one's magic, they will receive an extra level of resistance to elements that reduces the damage and effectiveness of anything that utilizes that element. For example, Ryn's affinities would grant him extra layers of resistance to Fire, Electricity, and Metal-based abilities. Aside from Crests, this encompasses almost every ability in the series.
- Heat Manipulation: Mages, even without a Pyra affinity, can survive blasts of heat potent enough to instantly turn thousands of cubic meters of water into steam, something Hana did when Yuri evaporated her summoned lake while she was still in it. Ryn could withstand heat from Gull's magma magic which was passively melting metal and incinerating magic around it.
- Corruption, Biological Manipulation, Physics Manipulation, Vector Manipulation, Causality Manipulation, Probability Manipulation: Mages can resist the effects of the dimension of Makai, which turns those exposed to it into demons down to their concept. Additionally, if strong enough, they can withstand the effects of the dimension that alter time, causality, physics, et cetera, due to the inherent chaotic nature of the realm.
- Empathic Manipulation: Aiden and the other members of Dragon's Crown were entirely unaffected by the effects of Ainz's incubus pheromones, which were potent enough to put Ryn into a trance.
- Curse Manipulation: Strong-enough mages can overpower the curses inflicted by demons and curse mages. There are potentially infinite possible curses with infinite possible effects, but the known ones are as follows:
- Body Puppetry: Sirin's Doll Curse.
- Damage Transferal: Apollyon's Damage Transferral Curse.
- Possession: Ainz Grimoire's Poltergeist Curse.
- Extrasensory Perception: Various Scrying curses.
- Mind Manipulation: There are many curses that alter the minds of the victims.
- Deconstruction and Absorption: Absorption is a natural aspect of Curse mana, which breaks down all matter it touches and absorbs it to create more of itself in the process.
- Matter Manipulation and Biological Manipulation: Carmilla's All-Crafting curse.
- Power Absorption: The effects of Gluttony Demons.
- Power Modification: Lilith's Administrator Curse.
- Petrification: There are various types of petrification and crystallization curses.
- Memory Manipulation: The natural effects of Lust Demons can destroy memories.
- Death Manipulation: Death Curses exist, and the aphrodesiacs of Lust Demons can be fatal in high doses.
- Text Manipulation: Name Inscription, a common technique utilized by Demons. Mammon's name-stealing ability falls under this.
- Conceptual Manipulation: Mammon's Name-Stealing curse.
- Empathic Manipulation: The natural effects of Lust Demons.
- Statistics Reduction:
- Plant Manipulation: Lubius' Garden of Paradise.
- Fragrance Manipulation: Lust Demon Essence, and Lubius' Garden of Paradise.
- Sense Manipulation:
- Illusion Creation and Perception Manipulation: Illusions are a common variant of curses, affecting multiple senses at once.
This is a list of stuff that general magic resistance should cover:
Onmyoudou: Elemental Manipulation (Of the Water, Earth, Metal, Fire, and Wood varieties), Creation of Shikigami, Possession (Shikigami only), Clairvoyance and Psychometry through Divination, Law Manipulation (Can create rooms that prevent spirits or demons from passing), Sealing, Forcefield Creation